Establishing the benefits of hot composting:
Hot Composting is a great way to make lots of rich organic compost fast - typically 30-90 days. There are many different composting methods and to establish if hot composting for the domestic home gardener has any benefits over other composting methods such as cold composting or food waste digestion, you need to first establish your composting objectives.
What do you want to achieve? Here are some examples:
- Do you want to make lots of rich/great compost for your garden that will improve its fertility and lessen/reduce your use of fertiliser and maybe even peat?
- Do you just want to keep the garden tidy?
- Do you want to make a more positive contribution to the environment by recycling all your food waste so your local council no longer has to collect and transport it to landfill or a central AD/IVC reprocessing plant?
- Are you just fed up with allocating more and more of your flower or vegetable patch to overflowing compost bins that never seem to do anything?
- Do you only have seasonal waste, or do you also have regular weekly amounts of food waste all year round
If the answer is yes to any of these, then hot composting with a HOTBIN maybe of interest.
Also see: Benefits of hot composting over cold composting.